Monday, August 10, 2026

Thursday, August 10, 1876. First long distance telephone call. Crook and Terry combine.

Alexander Graham Bell placed a telephone call between two Ontario towns, fourteen miles distant.  It was the first long distance telephone call.

Long distance telephone calls were a big deal when I was growing up, and indeed were expensive and frankly a big deal. People waited for certain times of the day or night to make them, when the price was reduced.  I'm guessing in an average year we had or placed maybe one or two long distance calls.

I dimly recalled that still being the case when I was first practicing law, and it was.  Indeed, I recall we had to be careful about how we logged the time to recapture the cost.  The revenue from long distance calls peaked in 2000, but cell phones made inroads shortly thereafter and by 2004 most long distance pricing had ended and it continued to decline throughout that decade.

Crook and Terry joined forces at the Rosebud.

Last edition:

Tuesday, August 8, 1876. A long ride by Captain Jack. Terry resumes the march.

No comments: