Friday, August 28, 2026

CliffsNotes of the Zeitgeist 153rd Edition. The maddening intersection of all politics being local and the two party "system".

 

Lake Ontario

I can't really say that Donald Trump ineffectual, moronic, but potentially  expensive attempt to rename Lake Ontario into Lake America (and by the way, "America" is not the name of the United States) is the absolute last straw for me.  That straw was broken years ago.  It was obvious right from the onset that Donald Trump was not qualified to hold any elective office.  However, in his first, and only legitimate, term as President, there was still a Republican Party.  Now that party doesn't exist.  It's just a bunch of ass kissers.

At least on the national level.

I'll frequently say that "I'll never vote for another Republican as long as I live", and I don't want to.  A party that will not renounce and remove a person like Donald Trump, who is mentally ill, from the Oval Office cannot be supported.  It's horrific.  But the problem, then, is when you get down to the local level.

We just saw in Wyoming a real Republican Party toss out fake Dixiecrat Republicans from office.  The only real survivor of the Wyoming Freedom Caucus bloodbath was Bill Allemand.  Some of the really good Republicans who wiped out Freedom Caucus members, like Luke Reiner who tossed out Steve Johnson, will face Democratic challengers.  And at the state level, a really good Republican who took the GOP nomination for the Governor's office, Barlow, is facing a challenge from a Democrat and Rebecca Bextel, the clueless Double Secret Constitution Party candidate.  So the irony we now face is that the majority, but not all, of the recent Republican victors are good candidates and probably think that Donald Trump is in need of mental help.  Given that, an enraged vote for a Democrat here, or not voting for the office at all, would in fact be a bad move.

But that's no excuse to vote in favor of every Republican on the ballot here.

It's particularly not an excuse to vote for Harriet Hageman or Chuck Gray.  Indeed, there'd never be an excuse to vote for Gray.  Gray doesn't deserve any votes.

Hageman really doesn't either.  She's got in office acting like an enraged MAGA harpy even though she probably isn't.  In office, she's been the distaff variant of her late father.  A smart hyper provincial politician whose drank deeply of the hardworking pioneer myth to the extent that she's drunk on it, and like most of those of that belief, basically believes that farmers should own the whole state and you don't count.  She's been, frankly, mean in her public personal and her political one.

Stuff like this really puts Catholics in a spot.
We need to participate for the common good. Sometimes we hear: a good Catholic is not interested in politics. This is not true: good Catholics immerse themselves in politics by offering the best of themselves so that the leader can govern.

Pope Francis.

For a long time, we've been in a spot due to abortion and, more recently, gender issues.

Abortion is murder. There's no two ways about it.  Mutilating the body to change genders isn't murder, but it is a mental disease and entertaining it is gravely wrong.    At one time there were Democrats who acknowledged these things.  Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas is the last pro life Democrat in the body.  Generally, Democrats are in favor of seas of infant blood flowing out of doctors' offices everywhere.

Today, more than ever, without prejudice to the right to self-defense in the strictest sense, it is important to reaffirm that the ‘just war’ theory, which has all too often been used to justify any kind of war, is now outdated

Pope Leo XIV

Undeclared wars of aggression are also gravely wrong.  Under at least Pope Leo's view, only defensive warfare is morally licit.  Attacking Iran was not only illegal under the U.S. constitution, it was not morally licit.  Attacking Venezuela was illegal and illicit.  Murdering people in boats off South American coasts as they're suspected of being drug runners is illegal and immoral.  The people ordering these things are committing homicide, as are the people doing them.  The US is killing people illegally and immorally as a matter of national policy, or rather the policy of handful of illegally acting people.

Threatening to take property? or life because we can is gravely immoral. Threatening to steal Greenland, or whatever, is immoral.  Taking the mineral wealth of Venezuela is immoral.

We are a deeply immoral nation.

How does a person weigh these thing?

Well, in my case anyhow, it means that I will not vote for Republican members of Congress.  I just won't.  I won't vote for people who are supporting military murder or extrajudicial killings.

Indeed, I do not think it's morally licit to do so.

Nor is it moral to demonize people based on their race or inclinations, which this administration has done and continues to do.

Finally, as a Catholic, and the same would be true for an Orthodox Christian, or a Mainline Protestant Christian, this administration is thickly populated by a certain sort of Evangelical thought that would convert the nation into a Calvinist theocracy.   People find that, it seems, to far fetched to consider, but it's a fact and many other things that were only recently too far fetched to imagine have now occurred.

Moreover, abortion, at the Federal level, is no longer constitutionally protected.  That takes that fight down to the state level, at least for the time being, although it is certainly not impossible to imagine a Democratically government, House, Senate, and Oval Office, acting to protect it on that level.  Whatever is going on in regard to transgenderism seems to have sort of stabilized and there doesn't seem to be anything going on with same sex "marriages".  Indeed, nervous Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is in one, putting him in the same category as Pete Buttigieg who was routinely lampooned by MAGA for being a homosexual in a same sex union.

Indeed, it's hard not to notice all the hypocrisy in the Republican Party on all of the remaining moral issues.  Bessent is homosexual and in a homosexual "marriage".  Vance is a Catholic but was boosting IVF.  Trump is a serial polygamist.  Republican politicians engage in marital infidelity and misbehavior with the GOP ignoring it ,while the opposite is true for Democrats when they transgress.

And finally, Trump, in order to remove the threat from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., made a deal with him to appoint him to the head of the nation's health, resulting in a further moronic decline in vaccinations and a major boosting of health stupidity.

All of this, again, haunts the Apostolic Christian.  Does a person vote for Republicans on the threat of abortion reviving, and thereby vote for war, childhood death by disease, ICE shooting in the streets, and on and on, let alone just voting for the patently stupid.

Of course, the two party system really isn't.  And often you really don't have to vote for the Republican or Democrat.  I haven't voted for a GOP nominee for White House in at least the last three elections, nor have I voted for the Democratic one.  I voted for the candidates from the American Solidarity Party.

The trouble there is that there often isn't a ASP candidate on the local level. There are none here.  The third parties that show up here are the Libertarian Party and the idiotic Constitution Party.  The Constitution Party is worse than the Republican Party, and always has been.

So for this year, I will vote for Barlow for Governor  He's a good choice.  I'd like to vote for Byrd for Senate, and I won't vote for Hageman, but I have yet to decide what I will do.  For House I'd like to write in Christensen and I won't vote for Gray while I want to avoid Kinney.  

All somewhat tough races to face.

Locally, I'm lucky that I don't have to make such decisions for my local legislative districts.  The City Council race is non partisan.  The County Commissioner race is partisan, however, and one of the finalists is simply awful, and I'd guess, quite frankly, actually extremely liberal in spite of running as a Republican, and another nice but not a great candidate.  That leaves the two Democrats to consider.  Abortion and whatnot will not be a county issue and while I have not made my mind up on who I will vote for, I won't vote for two of the three GOP finalists.

If any come by, I'll flat out ask; "why are you in a party which picks on Canada, declares illegal wars, and hates the original native name for a large lake?"

Last edition:

King Donald's War, Part 12. The "Economic D-Day" edition. CliffsNotes of the Zeitgeist 152nd Edition, the irony edition.

No comments: