by answering honestly.
From this afternoon (apparently pollsters don't honor the Sabbath).
Pollster: Your race?
Me: White, I guess.*
Pollster: Do you consider yourself Hispanic, Latino, or come from a Spanish speaking household?
Me: Pause. . . No, I guess. . .
Pollster: Repeats question
Me: A lot of people speak Spanish who aren't Hispanic.
Pollster: Nervous laugh.**
Pollster: Are you a Republican or a Democrat?
Me: I register as a Republican.
Pollster: Are you a traditional Republican or . .
Me: Traditional.
Pollster: Do you have favorable view of MAGA?
Me: MAGA isn't Republican.***
Pollster: Um, would that be unfavorable?
Me: Yes.
Pollster: Do you have a positive or negative view of the Freedom Caucus?
Me; I have a less than favorable view of the Freedom Caucus.
Pollster, um, we'll put that down as unfavorable.
Pollster: Did you vote for Donald Trump or Kamala Harris in the last election?****
Me: Neither one.
Pollster: Did you vote?
Me: Yes.
Pollster: Um, um
Me: I voted third party.
Pollster: Nervous laugh. Thanks me for my honesty.
Pollster: (Reads long ballot initiative that will gut property taxes here). If the election was held today would you vote yes or no?
Me: No.
Pollster: Are you sure?
Me. Yes.
Pollster: Any chance of changing your mind?
Me: No.
And people wonder why polls are wrong. The questions were too narrow, and my guess is that my results are now put down inaccurately. They'd nearly have to be.
Or they're just tossed out.
Footnotes:
*I'm caucasian, but I don't get the question in some ways. A lot of Hispanics are just as caucasian as I am, and I have a little French ancestry, does that make me something else? Most of my DNA is from Ireland. Before WWI Americans regarded that as some sort of separate race.
For that matter, horror of horrors, I have a trace of Beaudoin Arab. Probably some crusader brought home Mariam from Tyre when he went home to Beuvron-en-Auge. "Mama, Papa. . . J'aimerais que vous rencontriez Mariam."
M'eh.
A point, for those who follow such things, Normans are fair skinned people. The French, however, often are not. In the summer, I'm not, and my skin doesn't burn. Look at my daughter, and you'd think she was a Viking. Look at me, and you'd think I was an, well, Arab.
**So are people who learn to speak Spanish suddenly Hispanic
**MAGA is not more Republican than the Social Democrats are Democrats. MAGA are some strange sort of fascist for the most part.
****What kind of stupid question is that? I voted for Brian T. Carroll.
No comments:
Post a Comment