Saturday, May 5, 2018

Railhead: Transportation juxtaposition

I recently posted this on our companion blog, Railhead: Transportation juxtaposition:


I noted in the text for that;
BNSF rail tunnels on left, Wyoming Highway Department tunnels on the right.

Wind River Canyon, Wyoming.
What I didn't note is how emblematic of modern local transportation this is.  The rail line on the left, running from Thermopolis to Riverton Wyoming, is spectacular in this stretch, but it carries only freight, like every other Wyoming rail line. At one time, that wasn't true.  It carried passengers as well. But that was decades ago.

The highway on the right is also spectacular, one of Wyoming's best in my views.  The replacement for the means of conveyance on the left, although in fairness I'm sure the road is quite old.  I don't know when the highway tunnels were put in.

No comments: