Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Lex Anteinternet: The Kaiserschlacht Carries on. May 27, 1918. Operation Blücher-Yorck. Something I'd missed

I noted the resumption of the 1918 German Spring Offensive here the other day:
Lex Anteinternet: The Kaiserschlacht Carries on. May 27, 1918. Oper...: Operation Blücher-Yorck.  The big picture again.  This time, having failed to push the British into the sea, the Germans turned thei...
What I failed to note when I posted that is that the Germans, finally benefiting from their defeat of Russia, had brought into action fifty, that's right fifty, divisions from the East.

I've been pretty critical here of German dithering in the East, and I'll still be.  Fifty divisions in May 1918 was hugely significant, but not as significant as they would have been months prior when the Spring Offensive started. By this point, German losses in the Spring Offensive had been huge.

But still, there was real reason for the Germans to hope that this time. . . .

No comments: