Sunday, December 3, 2017

Why was this blog turned off for awhile?

And I may again.

This blog gets, normally, about 250 hits a day.

The past couple of days its been getting thousands of hits.

Mostly from Russia and the Ukraine.

Hmmmmm. . . .

That's odd.

I suspect bots, but I don't want this appropriated for any reason, so I turned it off for awhile today to try to check out what the heck is up.  And as I'm cautions, I may do that again.

I like blogging, obviously, but this isn't going to serve as a target or a platform.

6 comments:

Rich said...

Looking at my stats, it looks like something similar is happening to my almost abandoned blog.

I usually get about 30 hits per day, but I got 100 yesterday and over 300 today at 8:00 am. The only difference is that they all came at the same time from France, Brazil, Belgium, and the Philippines instead of Russia.

I don't fully understand how Facebook and Google make as much money as they do, so I'm at a loss about how the scammers and hackers are trying to take advantage of a simple blog.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

I had a pile of hits from all of those countries as well.

I learned today that bot activity picks way up in December for some reason. Apparently they try to get you to hit back on sites that sell stuff, I'm told

How irritating.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

By the way, I miss your entries on your blog.

Rich said...

I keep intending to start posting again, but I've found that it's even harder to restart a blog than it was to make that very first blog post.

I probably just need to make a quick post about something to get back into the right mindset.

Neil A. Waring said...

I could use a few more hits on my blogs but don't believe hits from Russia will help. I had something similar a few years ago, lasted a few days and went away. Odd!

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Well I suppose it at least boost the blog's stats.

I've noticed its back down to normal now. My concern over it was likely overdone.