Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Oh, for the want of a third party. . .



Watching the story of the election in Alabama, which will occur today (I'm dreading the flood of news tonight), I have to once again wonder; why is it that we stick to a two party system in this country?

Truly, most nations have more than just two parties. Why should the voters of Alabama have to decide between just Moore and his opponent.  This is casting the election as one, it seems, where people fear that they must vote for a candidate who is morally dubious or a party that is.  That shouldn't have to happen.

I really wonder what would occur if some serious, known, Alabaman came out on a ticket backed by a party like the American Solidarity Party, which I suspect probably reflects the views of most Alabamans more than the Democrats or Republicans do.

For that matter, with candidates slowly starting to line up for the Wyoming Gubernatorial race next year, I'm lamenting that we don't have something like that here. I'm hoping that the GOP won't model itself after Utah's GOP in this race and that somebody like our current Governor comes out. Surely that will happen, right?

No comments: