Monday, January 4, 2021

Resolute Progress. Culling the podcast herd

The other day, I posted this item:

Resolute Progress. Weeding the Cyber Garden.

I've done the same on podcasts.

I like podcasts a lot, and started listening them some time ago.  Indeed, they're the reason I gave up on XM Radio.  I had taken them up to the extent I wasn't listening to it much anymore.

When I traveled around a fair amount by road, they were fairly easy to keep up with. . . sort of.  Well, that wasn't every fully true, but I did keep up on them more than I do now.  COVID 19 is the reason why.  Fewer road trips.

So I've culled some.  And some really needed to go.

One that I tried to repeatedly cull but stuck around due to the oddity of how podcast upload on the iPhone was the Patrick Coffin Show.  Coffin was the host for years of Catholic Answers Live, which I really like and still listen to, although I've never listened to every episode.  Coffin, who has an acting background, was a great hosts.  The current host, however, Cy Kellett, is leagues superior in every sense.  Coffin's departure turned out to be a boon for Catholic Answers.

But not for Coffin .

I wasn't sure why Coffin was leaving but he set up his own podcast and apparently that project was part of it.  Right away Coffin strayed into the Rad Trad fields, something that the very orthodox Catholic Answers, which is conservative, but not Rad Trad, doesn't.

When Coffin's show would pop back onto my podcast feed, I'd often leave it there to see if there was anything interesting. That ended when he had an episode that features some whackadoodle boosting a Bill Gates is responsible for the pandemic theory.

Not that there weren't warning signs before.  Soem of Coffin's guests were really extreme.  Dr. Taylor Marshall is one and he was one the lesser ones.  

Well, no more. Coffin is gone.  Indeed, in my view Coffin is one of the people who is presented with a delimma of the nature expressed here the other day in that he's now expressed views that he knows or should know, at least in regard to the absurdity of the pandemic episode, are false.  As he has a media company of some sort, he needs to recant that, in my view.

This isn't the only podcast I've excised recently.  There's just too many to keep track of and too many of them are good. At some point, some have to go.

Simplify. 



No comments: