Saturday, August 8, 2020

I've been catching some videos on fishing, and subscribed to the Reddit on fishing, and have noticed its popular to depict women fishing in bikinis.

When this first became apparent I assumed it was an effort at outdoor cheesecake, but it's so common, I've now concluded that in some areas its pretty common.

It's also stupid.

Fishing illustration, 1908.

First off, there's no real reason why women should dress any differently from men while fishing.  And as fishing is an outdoor activity in which a person is really exposed to the sun, that means a person ought to dress appropriately.

Woman fishing in Washington D.C. tidal basin, 1957.

Which should mean a good broad brimmed hat, long pants and a shirt.  

I'm not hugely familiar with boats, so I don't know how hot a person gets out on a boat  Because I don't know anything about boats, I'll concede that maybe dressing on a boat is different.  Personally, I wouldn't wear shorts on a boat as I hardly ever wear shorts, but I sure would wear a shirt.

Japanese women and children fishing

Not doing so is simply an invitation to skin cancer, or to looking like you are 70 when you are 40.  And, yes, I'm aware of sun screen. 

Put on a shirt.

No comments: