Saturday, August 1, 2020

The Pandemic and Outdoors


Fish and Game agencies are reporting a big increase in license sales as people who have been cooped up due to Coronavirus, or whose regular activities have been curtailed.  In Wyoming big game applications increased by about 10%.  Colorado, which has put in place a new regulation requiring users of state game agency managed lands to hold a license, saw fishing licenses increase by 90,000.

All in all this is a good thing as it means people are getting out.  It also means, however, that some licenses are now a lot harder to get, which is frustrating if you are trying to get one.

Something else that's difficult to get now if is fishing gear.  Last Sunday I bought a new spinning reel as the one I had on a rod (well, actually I have this problem with a couple rods) was 40 years old and had quit working right.  It turns out that there's been a run on this type of equipment and the one I bought was the display model, the last one left.  I guess it's been like this for months.  I had no idea.

The salesman at the store was predicting that next year he thought there's be a lot of kayaks and outdoor gear for sale.  I hope he's wrong  While I like having the outdoors to myself, I also think it's a good thing that people are rediscovering it.  I hope that rediscovery sticks.

No comments: