Monday, June 17, 2019

If a society has to be medicated in order to function, what's that mean.

Recently a person I barely know came to me (and as I barely know her, that's why he probably came to me) and told me that in order to keep working in her job as a trial lawyer she's gone on antidepressants.  The net results is that she feels better about the world, but now she's having trouble with her husband as her drive has been reduced to zero. He doesn't understand.

I'll bet he doesn't.

There are quite a few people who do need pharmaceuticals to function, and that's fine. But they all have some costs.  If our bodies are telling us "enough", maybe we should listen to that.  We probably ought to before we drug ourselves in order to just pull ourselves through our job and wipe out a natural part of our lives at home.  That's just flat out horrible, in my view.

No comments: