Sunday, June 2, 2019

Swing of the Pendulum? Lex Anteinternet: The Collapse of the Standard of Dress. Maybe not so fast?

I've posted on this topic a couple of times recently, based on looking at a lot of 1919 vintage photographs:
Lex Anteinternet: The Collapse of the Standard of Dress: This post comes about only partially because of our focus on a century ago, and what the photos of that era depict.  Its much more cl...
And as that overly long post makes plain, that's not the first time the topic has appeared here on this blog.

But since them I've been attending a lot of high school graduation functions, and I've been tremendously surprised.  A lot of those young folks are quite well dressed.

Not dressed like 1919, but it isn't 1919. They're well dressed by contemporary standards, and I do mean well dressed.

Indeed, I've seen a lot of kids who were better dressed at various functions than I would have been in comparison when I graduated in 1981. And not only are they better dressed, they look quite comfortable in their dress clothes.

That may sound odd to say, but if a person doesn't look comfortable and at ease with what they're wearing, they'll look poorly dressed.

I learned to tie a necktie in basic training and I didn't own a suit until I was very close to graduating with my undergraduate degree.  Indeed, I bought that suit not because I was graduating (I skipped my undergrad ceremonies) but because a good friend of mine was getting married and I needed one.  I wore it a couple of times while I was in law school, but I didn't really become comfortable with dressing that way until I was a lawyer.

These young people look comfortable in dress clothes now.

Somebody who graduated a few years ago also noted this to me now and noted how much better dressed this class is compared to his own class just a few years back.

Some trend in the works perhaps.

No comments: