Monday, August 3, 2026

Saturday, August 3, 1901. Muscular Christianity and Manly Men.

The first ascent of  Canada's 11,870-foot Mount Assiniboine,"one of the classic mountaineering peaks of the world", occurred. It was accomplished by James Outram, Christian Bohren and Christian Hasler.

By Edna Winti - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ednawinti/7987475098/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=95018554

No one living today shall know the joy of such an achievement, and all achievements today, except personal ones in accordance with nature and the Natural Law, shal equate to it. Compared to our own era, the achievements of the rich and powerful, Gates, Musk, etc., are utter worthless dirt. What's more, they know it.

James Outram was a clergyman of the Church of England. While I'm of the view that the high church, in the Church of England, has no excuse for not becoming Catholic, I'll note that some of its members were really remarkable at the time. Christian pastors with the bark on.

The HMS Viper, the first  major steam powered Royal Navy ship was wrecked beyond repair during Royal Navy maneuvers near the Channel Island when it struck a reef near the island of Alderney, ripping out the bottom of its hull.  

It was a fairly modern ship.

It was, of course, a Saturday.


In this era of labor strife, it's interesting how often working men were depicted as very manly men.

I know that we shouldn't , but I can't help but note that things were perhaps existentially more genuine then.

Last edition:

No comments: