Saturday, June 6, 2020

Marine Corps bans Confederate Flags. . .and that was the right thing to do.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps has put the stop to the Stars and Bars in Marine Corps settings.


The Confederate flag is something that even now I'm always taken off guard when I see it. 

When I was a kid growing up in the Rocky Mountain West I never saw it here.  Indeed, I really didn't see it around here until I was an adult, when you'd start to see it around. Somehow, it's really spread, and not just because people like Lynrd Skynrd.

Well, there's no getting around it.  The Confederacy was about one thing. . . keeping blacks enslaved, and that's what they fought for.  The men who served that cause, no matter what you otherwise think about any one particular one and how they lived their lives, were traitors to the United States, particularly when they had been serving officers in the military who had taken an oath to the United States (I'm willing to give more of a pass to conscripts, which is what a lot of Southern enlisted men were, including militiamen, but they still served an evil cause).  That's what that flag symbolizes.  It shouldn't be showing up on US military bases now.

No comments: