Saturday, October 6, 2018

Unexpected paths

Yesterday was the Oil Bowl, the big football game between the two local high schools.

I hadn't been thinking much about this going into it, but in doing the updates here I ran across this October 3 item on our compaion Today In Wyoming's History blog:


October 3


2014  I was remiss in timely noting it, but October 3 saw the 50th anniversary of the Oil Bowl. This Oil Bowl.(it's not the only one nationwide) is the cross town football match between rivals Natrona County High School and Kelly Walsh High School, both of which are undergoing massive renovation at the present time.
In this context, it's a very odd thing to realize that the last time I saw an Oil Bowl is while I was a student at NCHS, which would have been the 16th Oil Bowl.  I would have been a student there when the 17th Oil Bowl was held as well, but I didn't see that one.

 Photo from 16th Oil Bowl.

Well, so what you might ask.

Well, just this.  The player whose photograph I took on that night so long ago was a friend of mine.  Not a close friend, but one of those friends who is in a circle of friends that intersects your own circle of friends.

He stayed here in town.  He went down to UW like I did although I never saw him there and ultimately came back to Casper where he worked as a printer.  I'd run into him every now and then.

Some time in the Spring I ran into him and he was looking awful. I'm not sure why.  And then he died in his sleep, at age 55, back in June.

There's no real point, or maybe there is, to this post.  Life rushes on and catches up, never really developing the way we expect it will.

No comments: