Sunday, April 7, 2019

Southern Rockies Nature Blog: Trusting Siri in West Texas

And speaking of the English language, to include its many delightful accents, this item appeared recently on the Southern Rockies Nature Blog:
Southern Rockies Nature Blog: Trusting Siri in West Texas: Let Siri pick a route and turn on the cruise control. I am driving through West Texas in April, so it is highly unlikely that GPS direct...
The author there allowed as to how his Siri is set with an Australian accent.

Mine has a Sri Lankan accent.

I have no good reason for this.  I'm not from Sri Lanka, rather obviously, and I don't think I've ever met anyone from Sri Lanka.  I just thought accent interesting and as I very rarely use Siri, it was just a fun thing to do.

I therefore forgot about it, until I was in Houston and started using Google Maps to navigate the city, and found that it was set to the Sri Lankan accent.  I didn't have time to change it in traffic, so I stuck with it.

Now I'm afraid to change it.  I've used it in Houston multiple times and I know what the voice means when it interprets some Texas Highway one way or another.  That voice has guided me all over Houston and Dallas, and all the way from Houston to Port Arthur for that matter.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Siri is Sri Lankan.

No comments: