Wednesday, August 12, 2015

NCSD Board Policy 5375. Dress Code.



The current NCSD dress code.

Usually with something like this, the poster, if he's been out of school over 20 years (and I have. . . shoot, I've been out of grad school for over 20 years.. . . hard to imagine), makes some comment about how things have changed and how back in the day. . .

Well, in actuality I think this is the same dress code, more or less, that they had back when I was in junior high.  It might actually be a little more restrictive than the applied code when I was in high school.  I think the same rules applied, but they weren't enforcing them all that much.  I know weweren't supposed to wear t-shirts with beer advertisements on them, but they weren't all that common at that time anyhow, and I don't think they bothered with enforcing that rule.  We were not to wear hats in class, I do recall that.

Which isn't to say that things never changed in the district. There were real rules at one time, but I don't really know when they ended.  I suspect, however, it was the 1970s.  Up until some point just after the Vietnam War every male student at NCHS (but not KWHS) had to take JrROTC and that did create a male dress code for at least one day per week. Earlier in the school's history I think that applied for more than one day per week.

 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RoQ8Y6Jp8Pw/U1uofAlgE5I/AAAAAAAAP2Y/Ar5TLbkMLcg/s1600/Scan.jpg

 NCHS students in 1940s.

Girls at that time wore a school uniform, or at least for part of that time they did.  I don't really know when it ceased.

Whenever it did, the dress code that is the topic of the NCSD video, has pretty much been in place for at least 40 years.

No comments: