Thursday, July 2, 2020

Worth Reading: Opinion: You want a Confederate monument? My body is a Confederate monument

Caroline Randall Williams has written a remarkable editorial for the NYT that's also in at least the Houston Chronicle.

NYT:

Opinion: You want a Confederate monument? My body is a Confederate monument

Houston Chronicle:

Opinion: You want a Confederate monument? My body is a Confederate monument

I'll noted that the editorial has been lifted, in its entirety, by at least one Facebook poster, but as that's no doubt pretty clearly a copyright violation, I'll forgo linking that in here.  But I will link in an item on her upcoming live reading of her editorial (the only time I've ever heard of that being done) and a snipped of that, which is a paragraph taken from the NYT editorial:














That's pretty powerful stuff.

A person can try to dive into the weeds on this and argue this and that, and at least on Twitter some are doing that. But when isn't that done on Twitter?  The fact is, this is a glaring aspect of the historical legacy of slavery and it remains a legacy of it in an odd sort of way today.

No comments: