Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Assumptions

Advertisement for Smirnoff vodka that played effectively on assumptions.  Part of a series of such advertisements, another of which is shown before, illustrating our  assumptions about a profession and "shattering" it.  In reality, vodka wouldn't have this effect, of course.

At some point in life, the assumptions really set in.  It's interesting.

Not your own assumptions.  At least if you are like me, your world outlook at age 57 isn't very much different than it was at 17.  

Well, I guess that's not really true, at least in a complete fashion. But it is in a core fashion.  There are some experiences you have/enjoy/endure that there's no getting back from, no matter how much you might wish to.  I know that in my own case, that's definitely the case, including some I wish I hadn't have had and could take back.  I know I can't, but that doesn't keep me from wishing I could.

And there are some experiences that probably impact your world outlook no doubt, but in my own case not that much really.  I look at most things the same way, and in the same way, that I did back then.  Indeed, in spite of 30 years as a lawyer (well, 31) I don't think being a lawyer has changed my mental process whatsoever.

No, what I mean is the way other people look at you.

That really changes.

And not just for people who know you in one setting, but people who know you otherwise.

And why wouldn't they?  You spend five days out of seven, or if you are like me more often than not six days out of seven, assuming you don't violate the Commandment and make it seven out of seven, doing your occupation. That is what you are to most people, your vocation.  And even if you occupy a secondary occupation, it'll be regarded as a hobby.

Your secondary occupation could be working in Executive Outcomes and fighting in desperate struggles in far off lands, but if work a day job as an accountant, even if that job is to support  your armed inclinations, you're an accountant.

"Oh?  Going to Crapistan to fight in the insurrection?  Well, hope you find it relaxing and it helps get you back to accounting with a renewed focus."

Sigh. . . 

Well, you might take up drinking Smirnoff out of desperation (and in my view, if you are drinking vodka, you must be desperate), but truth be told, you'll still be an accountant and you'll still be taking the caravan to Southend.

And you'll still dress like an accountant, or a lawyer, or whatever and sooner or later, that's what you will be to most people.  Even people who know you at least somewhat well.

The only exceptions really are those people who knew you when you were young.  Back when you were, whoever you were, and who you may still dimply be.

Those are the folks who want to know if you want to go gold panning, or fishing on the high streams, or look at mules.

Everyone else?  Forget it.  Even if they looked at mules with you once, they want you to look at their mortgage now.

No comments: