Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Lex Anteinternet: It's broken. Or at least its frustrating

A man, woman, their horse, and dog. Tanana, Alaska, prior to World War One.

I published this item last week:
Lex Anteinternet: It's broken.: A few weeks ago, as I've noted here, my dog was bitten by a rattlesnake. He's better now, except he lost a bunch of fur on one ...
So, since then, it's become clear that the thermostat on the 97 1500 isn't working.  I sort of ignored it, but on a really cold day it became impossible to ignore.  The truck's running great now, but a truck needs a heater.

So I still have the 97 1500 and the D3500, which needs work, remains in Laramie.  It's becoming a problem.

The 97 1500 is now fixed, however.  I was going to get the truck back today and run it to Laramie this afternoon as I had a light day.  Yesterday I was in Denver all day, boarding the plane here at 6:00 a.m. and getting back here at 8:30 p.m.  I have a telephonic hearing at 11:30, and then I was going to collect the 1500 and deliver it.

I thought my 11:30 was at 1:30 p.m. so I double checked that this morning.  Turns out it was earlier than I thought by my assistant put in an appointment at 4:00 p.m.

She didn't check with me when she did that.  Recently, in an effort to be proactive, which I fully appreciate, she's taken up doing that, which is a legal assistant's normal task.  It is very helpful, at least for those acclimated to it.  I'm really not, however, and am rather used to setting my schedule myself.  That't inefficient, but as in prior years I didn't always have an efficient legal assistant, I grew used to doing that.

Not only was an appointment scheduled then, it's on an extremely complicated legal matter that takes hours and hours and hours to prepare for.  Assuming that I'm incapable of time travel and cannot go back to last week, this is a bit of a problem.

This is my fault, as I hadn't blocked the afternoon out on my calendar, being used to my long running habits in this area.  I'm really bad about doing that as I often keep items of my personal calendar in my head and don't put them on the my calendar.  Long acclimation to doing that has accustomed me to it, so I don't use my computer calendar the way I should for such things.

So much for running to Laramie.

I used the 97 Jeep, I'd note, just back from the shop on the electrical problem, to go to the airport.  It's left blinker now works. . . but the right one doesn't and the dash lights no longer do. Back to the shop for it.

My Iphone, upon which I checked my calendar this morning, as noted, was fixed by our great IT guy.  But now its age is showing and while riding the A Train back to the airport the screen kept going out.  This isn't good.  It's particularly not good for somebody whose train transit is on his phone.

And his airplane boarding pass too. . . .

No matter, it started working again, and surely won't break, right?

So I got back to the airport and was able to update my boarding pass to the 7:00 flight.  As soon as I hit the tarmac back home I texted home for Long Suffering Spouse to turn on the oven and put some frozen egg rolls in.  It would take me 25 to 30 minutes to clear the airport and get home.  Just about the right time for them to be cooked.

"Can't you pick something up on the way home?" came back the text.

Getting out of the airport parking lot was tricky, as they're resurfacing it. The guy working the parking lot booth teased me about it, which I don't mind, as I'm grateful that the people who work that booth are always really friendly.

Anyhow, seriously, at 8:00 p.m. the last thing on earth I want to do is to divert my path home, which doesn't go through the local fast food belt, so I can attempt to speak to the employee in Reformed Hittite, order a Gyros at Arbuckles, with a side of onion rings (which I really don't need, caloric content at 8:00 at night wise), and get home to find that what I got was the Cheerio Cooler instead with a bushel of onion rings. Why this appeared easier to Long Suffering Spouse than just turning on our high tech oven (which I can't stand) and putting in the frozen delectables isn't clear to me, but once I came in the door without a bag from Blimpos, Arbuckles, or Dirty Ron's Steak House she immediately went to turn on the oven for the egg rolls and got them out of the freezer. I simply took over the process and took care of it myself.  Some failure to communicate there somewhere.  Eating a salad prior to the egg rolls took care of the cooking time anyhow.

Monday night I watched a television show about the small number of families who retain cabins in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge.  It's just six.  Once the living members of those families pass on, as they're all leased cabins, that will end.  Some of them live year around in the out, out back of Alaska.  No 1997 Jeeps or Dodges.  No Cell Phones.  Wood ovens.  Moose meat.  When I was really young, say 16 to 19, more or less, something like that really appealed to me, although I didn't do it, rather obviously.

And that was before the cell phone. . .

Right about the time my cell phone screen went out for the second time that television show came back into my mind.

No comments: