Monday, August 28, 2017

It is a very strange thing . . .

to look at photographs of a disaster and recognize places in it.

Downtown Houston.

I'm not going to second guess anything or anybody on this.  It's simply a shock to see it.

The past several years I've spent a lot of time in Houston.  In terms of large cities, I'm fairly certain that only Denver Colorado has claimed more of my time.  As a result, I've become pretty familiar with parts of the enormous city, although because it is an enormous city I certainly don't know all of it by any means.  Indeed, I'm really only familiar with the downtown, the energy corridor, and various bits and pieces of the town.  Having said that, I've been in it so much that it's one of the large American cities I'm comfortable with to a degree.

Given that, while there are millions of people in Houston, I can't but feel that I have a bit of a personal connection to the city.

Well, God bless those there.

People will post prayers, of course, and they should. For some reason, I always think of the Navy Hymn when things like this occur.  Perhaps because Hurricanes and their aftermath are so closely connected to the sea.  Indeed, they're the sea come on land, really.  So, that being the case, I'll post the text here.  Give some thought to Houston and its residents today.
Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word,
Who walkedst on the foaming deep,
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease,
And give, for wild confusion, peace;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren's shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

No comments: