Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Are 77 Year Old WW2 Boots BETTER Than Modern Boots? - (CUT IN HALF)


An interesting look at M1943 boots.

I actually have an analogous pair of boots made for the French army after World War Two, which I bought surplus some years ago. As they were slightly large, I took up only wearing them in muddy weather as I could wear heavy wool socks with them and also, occasionally, buckle my trousers in to keep them from getting too muddy.

As it happens, I've worn them a lot more than I ever anticipated and really like them.

Anyhow, this video is interesting in regard to their quality, and the reasons for their quality.  I wouldn't have guessed that they were overall of this rather high quality.

The M1943 boots was very much welcomed when first introduced, but went on to be sort of disliked over time.  The video may contain an inaccuracy as the boots were actually slated for replacement after World War Two after the introduction of the M1948 boot, which was based on the World War Two jump boot, which was actually reintroduced into service after World War Two. The Corcoran jump boots was used throughout the war, and was heavily admired, but the original intent had been to replace it with M1943 boots.

Anyhow, in my general view, U.S. combat boots have been lacking in various ways ever since the M1948 boot was replaced. They've improved in some ways in recent years, but they are still not what they should be.  The construction comparisons brought up by this video are, accordingly, quite interesting.

No comments: