Saturday, July 24, 2021

Blog Mirror: A Hundred Years Ago; Hundred-year-old Tips for Packing Sandwiches.

A Hundred Years Ago has an item from 1921 about packing sandwiches.   The item starts out noting that until the author saw the item linked in, she'd never thought about how this was done a century ago.

Slicing British "war bread" to make sandwiches for incoming American troops, UK, World War One.

Nor had I.

This is one of those items of routine life that this blog was started to explore, with the concept of being authentic in a novel that I'm not making much progress on.

It's interesting how we miss these little details.  I know how we pack sandwiches now, and of course I know that they existed a century ago, but I never thought about how you'd pack them.  I can't say that I like the concept expressed for packing them at that time either, but It's interesting to note it was a problem, and cellophane wrapping was obviously not the solution.

No comments: