Thursday, February 16, 2017

America Here's My Boy

In a clear sign how things were beginning to go, and an early introduction to what would be a massive movement in the American public supporting the Great War and shaming those who didn't, the song America Here's My Boy was copyrighted on  this day and very soon released:


This came, of course, just before the US entered the war, but it would end up being an early World War One American hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UJn9dHkD0E

I wouldn't rate it as great, but then music of this era. . . .

Anyhow, it was a bit of a reaction to I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A Soldier.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEqjMf7Ojo

Band sound similar to the one above?

It's the same one.

At any rate, I doubt America Here's My Boy "expressed the sentiment of every American mother." I learned the year prior to my own mother's death that she worried that war would break out the entire time I was in the National Guard.

1 comment:

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

I'm really surprised that this post went to the top ten of all time. I wouldn't have guessed it.

I think the cover art may explain it, and the title, but not necessarily in a good way. I can't quite decide if the cover art is just flat out bad, or creepy.