Wednesday, November 4, 2020

"I spend two weeks there every summer"

It was a picture of a dock on lake with boats.  A nice scene, but much like that of every recreational lake you've ever seen.  

I don't know the speaker personally at all.  It was an interesting comment but only in a passing way.  Which is why I was surprised when the comment returned, during the course conversation, a couple of times.  Obviously the location meant a great deal to the speaker.

That individual was in his 70s, and still working out of his big city office in a hard white collar job.  He claimed a couple of times to "love it".

It may be just me, and I may be looking at it inaccurately.  I've been told that by people about their particular jobs more than once.  Based on the tone of voice, however, it means two different things.  Sometimes it means that people genuinely love their job.  It's their true vocation, who they are.  Other times, however, its an excuse presented to an unasked question, that being "why are you (still) doing this?".  And sometimes, in that case, the answer isn't directed so much at the person who didn't ask the question, although it can be, as to the speaker themselves, who is rationalizing their current conduct and a lifetime spent at something. That question is "why am I doing this?", and the answer is "I love it, I must".

They must as otherwise it's a wasted life.  

I don't know why he's still doing his job at his present age.  It seems that his favorite setting isn't the one he's in.  People keep working for lots of reasons after they no longer have to.  Being used to a certain income is a common one.  Not knowing what else to do is as well.  Having lost their original personality due to a lifetime of hard work is also.  And not being able to rethink where you are is yet another.

And so is just loving a job, which could be it.

No comments: