Thursday, November 14, 2019

The front row television seats on the impeachment hearings.

Sometime around noon I had a break in the day and checked Twitter.  I don't know why, but I did.

And when I did, I found that some folks whose feeds I receive had spent the entire day watching the impeachment hearings.

Perhaps it's because I'm busy, but frankly, with limited exceptions, I'm appalled.  How can any working age adult be so idle as to have time to nothing else but watch impeachment proceedings?

Time, indeed, is a luxury, and apparently some people really have it.  Most working people do not.  If I did, absent a gigantic blizzard keeping me indoors, I wouldn't watch the impeachment hearings.

This is not to say that they're not important.  Clearly they are very important.  But there's something really odd in the thought that some folks have so much time on their hands they can watch them all day long.

Now, there are exceptions.

One exception is that some people have jobs where a television is constantly on.  People who work in certain types of cafes, or airports, or bars, work in that environment.  I get that.

Students and academics are another.  Student's days are different and so are academics.  I can see where they'd have them on in some, but certainly not all, circumstances.

Some folks are retired and don't have to work, and may just enjoy watching the proceedings.

And then there are people who are idle for one reason or another.

But I suspect that some people just sit at work streaming impeachment hearings. And that's not working.

I guess for idle people, watching is their option.  And I'm not saying that the whole thing isn't theater or a certain type.  It probably speaks poorly of me that if I was at home and had nothing (and it would have to be nothing) to do, I wouldn't sit and watch the hearings.  But I likely wouldn't sit there for hours and watch them.

Finally, I note that impeachment proceeding watchers are much like the proceedings themselves. They don't really need to watching, as their views are already made up.  People comment, aghast, on what they regard as horrors reflecting their preconceived judgment.

Now, there's been a lot of news on the events that lead up to this, and that entitles people to have reached their own conclusion.  But logging on in real time to comment that some Congressman is a jerk for his behavior or that some witness is wrong for some reason simply begs the question of why, if you know your end view already, you'd do this to yourself.  You can skip this and wait for the impeachment trial itself.  Or so it would seem.

Finally, if you are a political junkie and just have to watch it. . . don't watch it. . .listen to it. 

Radio is ideal for a thing like this.  If you are one of those people who can listen to the radio and do something else at the same time, for goodness sake do that.  Less is wasted.

No comments: