Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Ahem.. . well have you actually driven one of the new automatics?

Yes I have.

And not just a new one, I've owned two automatic transmission 4x4s myself, and there's been an automatic around here ever since my wife convinced me, or at least wore me down, into accepting that our standard transmission Nissan Pathinder should be replaced by a Chevrolet Suburban.

A 1974 Dodge D150 and the Suburban are the only two vehicles I've had transmission problems with. . .ever.  Well, if I don't count a leak, covered under a silent warranty, on a 1990 Ford F150 (a ZK manual transmission). 

The D150 was well used, and a good truck, but it was an automatic and it developed transmission problems shortly before it engine blew up.  Make of that what you will.

The Suburban's simply failed.

Our neighbor's did as well, and we were forewarned about that.

Frankly, I didn't like the Suburban much and its replacement, a Tahoe, I'm not keen on either.  Part of that is the automatic transmission.  Indeed, the only automatic transmission vehicle I've driven in recent years was on a Ford Expedition.  I liked it, but I don't want one.

But I have test driven the new 3/4 ton trucks with automatic transmissions.  And I've driven the 1 ton ones.  I'm sure their transmissions are excellent.  But not for what I want them to do.

No comments: