Thursday, September 12, 2019

To rebuild, or send packing . . .


that is the question.

This is our 1997 Dodge D1500.  We bought it used six years or seven years ago in anticipation of my son reaching driving age, which he was almost at, at the time.  The first several months we had it, I drove it as a daily driver, then when became old enough to drive, he took over driving it.

It's always been somewhat laggard on the highway but its been more noticeable recently.  And the check engine light has been on.  We determined to replace it, but my son likes standard transmissions (as do I), and finding an old standard that I'd regard as reasonably priced has been difficult.

Indeed, due to changes in how cars are sold, just finding an old truck around here is proving difficult.  Everything on the lots is pretty new, and that's more than we want to spend.  Indeed, that caused me to consider replacing my own Dodge D3500 diesel that has 165,000 miles on it (this D1500 has about 155,000. . . but on a gasoline engine).  Prices for new pickups, however, are really high.  More distressing yet, as I have the same affliction on transmissions, the options are really limited and basically only the new Dodges, which I do like, are an option. . for the current year only.  After this year, the standard transmissions will be a thing of the past.

Anyhow, last Sunday the matter reached a head.  My son has had my wife's SUV at university and we were going to load up his D1500 with some things and take them down.  After picking them up I noticed a rattle.  We took off but about 80 miles out, due to load shifting, I got out and found that the front wheels were very hot to the touch.  And the whole way the truck had been lagging.  I already knew that one cylinder has only 70 lbs of compression when it should have 120.

So we came back.

Turns out that the front brakes are shot and a u-joint is dangerously worn out.

So here's the question, now that this is at critical mass and I must do something, what should I do?  As I can't find a standard transmission truck around I'm seriously considering having a rebuilt engine put in or having the engine rebuilt  Two shops that put rebuilds in discouraged me from doing so on the basis that it has 150,000 miles on it and next thing you know, other things need to be replaced as well.  A third shop that actually rebuilds engines, however, did quote me an attractive price.  As it is, the front end is now being effectively rebuilt as it will have new brakes and good u-joints and I've asked them to look at the steering, which seems a little sloppy to me.

A friend who did this with a Volvo and got 300,000 miles out of it some years ago counsels that his having that engine rebuilt. .. twice, was a mistake.  He spent more doing it than he got out of it. But money is going into it now anyhow.

And so now the decision must be made.

2 comments:

Rich said...

My daily driver is a 2003 Chevy pickup with over 260,000 miles on the odometer.

The check engine light has been on for about six years, it uses a little oil, I have to top off the coolant once in a while, and it doesn't have as much power as it used to have, but it still gets almost 18 mpg (which isn't great but isn't bad).

In the last few years I've replaced the brakes, a couple of u-joints, and the fuel pump, but I don't think I'd even consider replacing or rebuilding the engine. At this point, everything from the door handles to the seats to the suspension is starting to get pretty worn out and a new engine would be a waste of money.

My plan is to keep decent tires and brakes on it and drive it until it really starts burning oil or the gas mileage drops significantly.

On a side note, my nephew had a pickup with about 150,000 miles that felt like it was losing engine power with the check engine light etc. and it turned out that the catalytic converters needed replaced. It was a simple job to replace them and it fixed the problem.

I'm not sure where you'd start trying to diagnose a catalytic converter problem and I hate just throwing parts at a problem, but it might be worth looking into.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Thanks Rich. I wouldn't have even guessed to look at the catalytic converter for an engine power problem.