Friday, August 18, 2023

Let the season of bad political interviews begin. . .

Ah, I just saw my first one for a local office.

You'd think that interviews with reporters would be penetrating.  If somebody is running, let's say, against John Barrasso, you think you'd explore real issues, including ones of national and international importance.  Where do you stand on Ukraine?  Given that the nation is undoubtedly moving away from fossil fuels, what do you see the future of Wyoming's economy being (and no weaseling out on the answer).  What is your real vision for the American economy.

Nope.

Instead, almost all interviews are just like this.

Why are you running, Bob?

Well this great state has been great to me and my great family in a really great way, and I think it would be great if I could give back in a really great way.

But our current Senator has been in office since 1865 and is almost old enough to assume leadership when they find out that Mitch McConnell died in 1957. Wouldn't that be a loss for Wyoming?

Mr. Reporter, I feel my talents are talented, and I'd be a talented member of a talented body.

Um?

I was one of the cats in my high school's production of Cats!

As Senator, what would you emphasize as your legislative priority?

Lunch.

Do you feel that you could work with the Democrats?

Well, Mr. Reporter, I pride myself on being able to get along with anyone, while also hating the Democrats with the red-hot passion of a thousand burning suns.  My plan would be to work towards compromise by not really paying attention to what's going on, and then coming home and claiming that Democrats are Marxist stooges of a Joe Biden plot to introduce hot Ukrainian babes as high school teachers.

Great, thank you for your insights. . . 

No comments: