Sunday, December 4, 2022

Dodging the Bullet.

My grandmother died in her mid 60s of an ailment that was vaguely attributed to her love of sweets, although whether that really contributed to it or not is more than a bit vague.  Basically, she died of either a colon or a gall bladder ailment.

My father, who died at 62, likewise did, although much less directly, a severe infection spread though his body following his having become ill. They did a colonoscopy at that time, which was well before they were routine, and there was some feeling that the infection was already pretty severe and that spread it around.  Anyhow, I recall my father telling me as he was in the hospital that he was acquiring all of his mother's ailments, which has been on my mind recently as I had to have colon surgery, which went well, but which turns out to have had a nick of time aspect to it.  I was as close to having colon cancer as you conceivably can, without actually having it, yet.

Therefore, but for getting a colonoscopy, recommended by my doctor, and emphasized by some folks around me, like my grandmother and my father, I'd have been dead of an intestinal matter in my early 60s.

What can you say?  It's simply true.

Of course, you can say more than that, but it nearly says itself.

2 comments:

Rich said...

For a number of reasons, it's not something I like to talk about, but after my heart surgery, I second-guessed everything I'd done in the years leading up to it.

Would've, could've, should've was what I thought over and over.

I knew I had a family history of heart disease so I tried to do most of the things that are suggested to avoid cardiovascular problems, but I still ended up needing heart surgery due to an almost 100% blockage in an artery.

If I'd waited a week to make that appointment with the cardiologist, I doubt if I'd be here today, but there's no way of actually knowing if that's what would have happened.

All I really know is that I'm still here today and I'm glad that's the way everything worked out.

I hope this makes sense and is relevant to what you are talking about.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

It makes sense, and it is relevant.

Thanks Rich.