Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Arctic Summer

I read somewhere that this summer has been the hottest summer on record. That may well be true, but it isn't true in my state.

It's been absolutely arctic here this summer.

Here's the odd domestic condition that applies to that.

There are certain people who are personally hot all the time. There's a variety of reasons for that, but they're hot.

People who are hot believe the entire planet shares their sense of hot and cold, and that people who don't, are lying.  Given they'll wonder around the office setting the temperature to Absolute Zero and the like.

This has played out personally for me this summer in two ways.

For one, my wife is one of those people who is hot during the summer.  I can't explain this, as she's not hot in the winter. But as soon as spring hits, the windows are all open as long as it isn't snowing.

This morning is a good example.  The official temperature this morning is 47F.  That means at my house it's probably barely 40F, if that.  But all the windows were open all night. 

This morning I closed them and turned on the heat in the room where this computer is.  The windows came back open as soon as my wife woke up.

My house is actually, due to stuff like this, incredibly uncomfortable for me to be in all summer long.  I actually suffer in the house.  I go outside to warm up.  When I get in my vehicles to go somewhere I pause to enjoy the warmth in them if the sun's been out.  It's awful.

At my town place of employment they're working on the air conditioning this year.  I missed the workman when he came around trying to access the temperature of each office, but I've had the conversation with him before.

Freezer Guy:  "Is it cold enough in here?"

Me:  "It's too darned cold!"

Freezer Guy"  "We're working on the system to get it to be colder everywhere"

Me:  "Turn it off!"

To no avail.

Message from Erik, the Freezer Guy.




2 comments:

Rich said...

Opening windows during the summer because it is "hot" is a completely foreign concept to me. In the morning, it would be more likely to be 85F and about 110% humidity than anywhere close to 40F.

The hottest it has been here is around 95F, which isn't even close to being the hottest summer. Back in 2011-2012 droughts, there were periods in the summer when the highs were close to 105F for weeks and for a while it didn't get below 90F at night.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

It ended up hot, during the day time, the past couple of days once again. Temperatures up around 97F. After the arctic summer, it's really a shock.

I spent a summer in Oklahoma in 1982. I recall temperatures routinely up over 100F in July and August. Our barracks (I was at Ft. Sill) had no air conditioning at all and we simply grew accustomed to it, the air kept moving by a fan. After that, when you went into an air conditioned building, you just froze.