Sunday, January 28, 2018

Live Simply and Other Musings

Back on December 8, I published this item:
Lex Anteinternet: D'oh! Rediscioverying what was already obvious. ...: Goose decoys in a farmed field, Goshen County Wyoming. Why a leading political theorist thinks civilization is overrated ...
A very interesting podcast interview by the BBC of the author of the book discussed in that entry can be found here:
Ironically I listed to this while on my way to go goose hunting.  A hunting trip unfortunately interrupted mid morning by one of the primary evils of modern civilization, the cell phone, with the receipt of a panicky work telephone call I had to address.  Following that, I received news of a not unexpected but none the less tragic arrival of "the undiscovered country" for a family member, and packed up and headed home.

Anyhow, it's a poor idea to post on things of this type while in a poor frame of mind, but I am anyway.  As I do that, I'm sitting getting ready to go to Mass. But as I'm a western American Catholic, I'm in my Sunday street clothes, which in this case includes a t-shirt which has a spork and a the works "Live Simply" on it, a gift from my teenage daughter who obviously knows my heart.

 Exactly.  And, yes, Sunday morning wear of a type.  I'll wear a hooded sweatshirt over it.  It's winter here, after all.

I'm noting all of this as I'm both linking in an interview of the author, but as I'm musing, and in a bit of a despondent mood as well.  And that reminds me of the footer photograph that I added to this blog after the turn of the year. . . a minor but not insignificant revision to it.



I know that a human population the size we now have can't really go back to our pre civilization state, and we don't even really want to. But a society more like that romanticized (as it surely papered over the bad parts) in I'll Take My Stand, existed not only in the region addressed but in most regions up until then.  And all of the objective evidence is that that situation was generally better than the current one. A goal, albeit a return goal, for a society, perhaps, that seems to be aimlessly sweeping away the best parts of its existence and making itself incompatible with what it is creating.

No comments: