Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Mid Week At Work Query: How Do You Decompress?



Earlier this week we ran a distressing item on the distressing items in the most recent issue of the state's bar journal.  We didn't discuss every article in that issue, distressing or otherwise.  One of the articles was entitled Take Two Weeks, There Will Always Be Work.  The article counseled that lawyers should take two weeks off each year, and it's wise counsel.

The article also noted that a recent study determined that our colleagues in Canada now take "only" two to three weeks each year, which is down from an entire month in the summer and two weeks in the winter in the 1970s.  Man, that must have been the golden age. . . .Having said that, a lawyer I used to have a fair number of cases against once told me that lawyers in his county took December off at one time.  What with the holidays, late hunting seasons, and the end of the year, they didn't work Decembers.

I can't even imagine that occurring now.

 Some folks relax by riding.

I'm one of those people who bring the vacation statistics down.  I didn't take a vacation this year. . . or the year before.  I have taken two weeks off in a row since I started practicing law in 1990 exactly ones, and only once.  On a couple of other occasions, maybe as many as four times, I've taken a week off.  It just doesn't seem to happen.

That is bad, I'll omit.  But it's common in the United States.  We hear of vacation time becoming less and less used all the time.  And while it may be just me, it seems to me that the more self employed or professionally employed a person is the more likely it is that they won't take their vacation time.  That has an impact on a person and it is bad.

 William O. Douglas, Supreme Court Justice, apparently cold relax at the office.

People need to decompress somehow from their job stresses. . . at least we're told that.  And of course vacations aren't the only way that's done.  There's hobbies, avocations of all sorts, sports of various types and the like.  It seems to me that most people I know have something along these lines they do. 

How about you?

Nellie Tayloe Ross relaxed by farming.

2 comments:

Rich said...

It's not even close to what you're writing about, but I usually check my cattle every day, so I haven't really taken a vacation since I've had cattle. Until I can get over that compulsion, taking a week-long vacation seems like it would be far from relaxing.

Until I can feel more comfortable leaving the cattle for a few days or as long as a week, I've been trying to at least make the weekends "light work days" so I can do something like go fishing or hunting for a few hours.

So far, that little bit of recreation once in a while seems like it helps me deal with the typical farming stresses like drought, and volatile cattle and crop prices.

Although it would be nice to have a week or so when I could just not think at all about cattle, growing wheat, or if it's ever going to rain again.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Thanks Rich.

Indeed, when I posted the photo of Nellie Tayloe Ross at her farm, I was thinking on the real agriculturalist's dilemma. You can't leave. At least you can't if somebody can't watch things for you.

That's true too of a lot of small businessmen in other fields. People say you should take a vacation, but it often simply isn't realistic.