Camp Lewis later in 1917.
Residents of Pierce County, Washington, passed a bond issue on this day in order to purchase 70,000 acres on the Nisqually Plains at American Lake with the intent to donate it to the United States for military purposes.
Camp Lewis remount station in October, 1917.
The land would become Camp Lewis, and then Ft. Lewis, a still active military post.
Congress had made the acceptance of land for military purposes authorized in August, 1916.