Wednesday, September 30, 2020

In Memoriam, Mac Davis and Helen Reddy

I can't say that I was a fan of either, but they were part of the background music of my early late childhood and early teen years. AM radio on local stations featured both, indeed the same channel here played both, in the early 1970s when they were in their prime.

Both died yesterday at age 78.

Davis I remember as a popular singer who had a popular television variety show when there were such things.  My parents liked the show.  I also recall him from North Dallas Forty, the rather unvarnished and critical movie about professional football with Nick Nolte as a broken up football player reaching the end of his career, although I thought Davis looked like an unlikely football player.

He died from complications of heart surgery.

Helen Reddy was part of the era in particular for her anthem, I Am Woman, which was played absolutely everywhere for awhile and which was the standard of the "Women's Liberation" movement.  I didn't realize that she was Australian born until today.  Her health had suffered enormously in recent years.

No comments: