Saturday, June 30, 2018

Don't be dissin' on my fishin'


Some time ago. . .indeed quite some time ago, I started this post. 

As all I've done all summer long is work, I haven't followed up on it.  There's a lot of posts that fit that category, which is probably a surprise to anyone who stops in here, as there's a flood of posts here, it seems, all the time.

Well, anyhow.

I had some gift certificates awhile back and while I always can use gift certificates to sporting goods stores, I eccentrically sought to purchase something that, even at the time, I knew was silly. Well, what better thing to buy with a gift card that something silly, eh?

And what I purchased was a giant fishing pole.

Now, I have a lot of fishing poles, although most of them are ancient.  For years and years I used the fishing poles and rods that my father had bought.  Probably the absolute newest of those was from the 1980s and more likely they were from the 70s.  Some are older than that.

Well, they worked then so they'll work now, right?

Indeed, they will, but they will also wear out and finally I had to start buying new rods and reels, both bait casting and fly, a few years back.

Somewhere in the mix I noted this absolutely giant pole at a local sporting goods chain store.  I know darned well that they stocked this because it is a  national chain and it was meant for some use that doesn't happen around here.  That use would be, I"m quite sure, for trolling behind a giant boat.

No matter.  I had the idea that with the pole I could. . . .maybe, cast way, way out on the big lakes around here.  Like Pathfinder.

In doing to check out with it, some guys checking out in another lane were snickering of the "doesn't know what he's doing variety".

Well, Spanky, I know what I'm doing.  I was fishing. . . all types of fishing, when you were just a pathetic fryling.

But interesting how this goes.

When I was young, fishermen were fishermen, around here.  I didn't know anyone who fished who made distinctions based on the type of fishing they did. That's why I have every kind of fishing pole and rod known to local man.  My father knew how to do every kind of fishing.  I even have some ancient baitcasting reels, which I've only used a very few times.  A giant pole with a giant spinning reel was the only type I lacked.  I don't know.

And yes, I've used it.

And yes, with a little practice, you can case way out. . .and way deep.

I did hook into some deep dwelling heavy things in Pathfinder, but I wasn't able to reel them up.  Had better luck on another lake however.

Take that, critics.

No comments: