Friday, October 2, 2015

Canadian politics. Being baffled.

I have a lot of Canadian cousins, aunts and uncles. Therefore, I read some of the Canadian news.  It emphasizes to me how little we understand about the politics of another nation.  I suppose, by extension, they don't understand ours.

For example, the Canadian election is coming up, and I've been reading a lot of posts by people who just hate Stephen Harper.  I mean hate him.  I have no idea why.

I don't hate our politicians, for that, matter, but somehow Harper draws the same sort of ire in some quarters that nearly every American President since Jimmy Carter has.  Surely, Harper is not a bad or evil man, is he?

On another topic, the Parti Quebecois has proposed to banning public workers from wearing religious headgear, such as skull caps or Islamic head scarves.  This to promote secular society.

Can they do that?  They couldn't here.  I'm amazed that such a thing would even be proposed, let alone in Canada, and let alone by the Parti Quebecois, but there you have it.  I'm sure it won't occur, but what a baffling thought.

No comments: