Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Super size it.

Lex Anteinternet: Tuesday, January 1, 1924. Receiving the New Year.:  




When I put this up on January 1, I also posted this calendar image on Reddit's 100 Years Ago sub.  Somebody came by and remarked on how tiny the glass the young woman is holding was.

And indeed it was.

Coca-Cola for years came in a 6.5 oz bottle, not 12.  It's interesting to reflect on as it really says something about proportions.

Coke's iconic bottle was a 6.5 oz bottle until 1955.  

Its competitor Pepsi started using 12 oz bottles in 1934.  In fact, that as one of its marketing devices, as it came in a 12 oz bottle, having a jingle that went
Pepsi-Cola hits the spot
Twelve full ounces, that's a lot!
Twice as much for a nickel, too
Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you.

It says something about the quality of Coke, or at least the original recipe of it, that people would in fact pay the same amount for half of what they'd get if they'd bought Pepsi instead.  It also says something about soda in general that it's so cheap to make, the added 6 oz of product really doesn't do anything to the economic bottom line.

In 1955, Coke switched to 10 oz bottles and 12 oz bottles and offered a  "Family" sized bottle of 26 oz.  The move was not without internal company controversy, however.  One company executive stated that  “bringing out another bottle was like being unfaithful to your wife.”

But that 55 10 or 12 oz bottle isn't gigantic.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, when you went to a fast food restaurant and got a soda, large was a 12 oz serving with ice.  Starting in the 80s, somehow, that doubled, with stores, particularly convenience stores, advertising what was essentially double that.  

24 oz of Coke is a lot.

And it went on from there.

McDonald's, when it was first getting up and running, served Coke in 7 oz cups. After Coke switched, it started serving it in 16 oz cups.  In 1980, 7-11 introduced the "Big Gulp" which weighed in at an absurd 32 oz.  In 86, 7-11 introduced the 44 oz Super Big Gulp, and everyone went down that road thereafter.

Indeed, now, getting a small or medium soda draught is really what a person should do, and on the rare occasions when I get fast food, I try to get that.  But most people don't.  Even little kids get the 55 gallon size soda drink.

And that's really not good for you.

3 comments:

Rich said...

I stopped drinking any sort of soft drink (diet or regular) about 2-3 years ago, the last time I tried some it tasted like sickly-sweet cough syrup.

The best thing anyone can do for their health and bank account is to stop drinking any amount of soft drinks.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

When I was a kid, I loved Coca-Cola. When I was a poor college student, however, I just quit buying it and have never really resumed drinking it. Still, back then I really loved fountain Coke.

Probably 20 or so years ago I became so out of the habit of drinking it, I came to experience what you are describing. I hardly ever drink it now.

Soda wise, the one exception I have is citrus flavored drinks, although I rarely buy them. I still like them, however. In recent years, I've grown to like mineral water, with Topo Chico being my favorite.

Rich said...

I'd completely forgotten about it until reading about how you drink citrus flavored drinks, but one time I was in one of the local grocery stores and I noticed that they were selling pineapple soda and grapefruit soda.

Pineapple soda sounded kind of weird at the time, but after thinking about it I thought it might not be that bad. I planned on going back to buy some the next time I was going to be at something like a 4th of July get together, but never did.

Maybe I'll remember to go looking for it now.