Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday at the bar: Blog Mirror; Best Major for Law School



Hmmm.

I liked the last one of these I put up last week. And I still think it's good. Frankly, I don't think this one is too bad.  But I think there's one thing he missed.

Maybe the best major for law school is a major you can fall back on.

There's a lot that goes into this, particularly if you wade into the swamp of law school tiers.  The usually thing you hear is that you must, absolutely must, go to a first tier law school.

Well, that's clearly not true.  Indeed, in some areas (and my state is one) you used to be better off going to the state school if you were going to practice in the state.  Of course, that isn't nearly the case it used to be in my state since the Uniform Bar Exam, which is widely believed by practicing lawyers to have been adopted due to the law school, blew a gaping hole in the logic of attending the state school.



Be that as it may, if you absolutely know for sure that you want to be a lawyer, than most of the advice here is really solid.

But what if you're Moe Berg?


Having something you can fall back on might be nice.

I've known a lot of lawyers, fwiw, that had pretty technical degrees. . .although all of them had attended a state school I'll note.  I can  think of, off hand, two who were petroleum engineers, four who were geologists, one who was a mechanical engineer, etc.

Now, I confess my example might be bad, but over time I've come more and more to have a really practical orientation towards education.  If I were young and starting over, and took the same general direction, there's some things I'd do differently, including learning a skilled trade along the way.  I may not have ever worked it, but some of them are handy to know in general, and you just never know.

No comments: