Sunday, November 16, 2014

WHEELS THAT WON THE WEST®: 20 Mule Team Borax Wagons

WHEELS THAT WON THE WEST®: 20 Mule Team Borax Wagons:   Throughout America’s history, there are certain early horse-drawn vehicles that have attained a legendary status… even among the gener...

I wonder how many of us had  a Twenty Mule Team model?  I did.

I loved models as a kid.  I don't think building them is as common as it once was.  Most of mine were military models, ground equipment and aircraft, but this one, a Twenty Mule Team, was an exception.  Wish I knew where it was today.

2 comments:

Rich said...

I had one of those 20 Mule Team models as a kid, and if I'm remembering it right there was some sort of promotion where you could get it for free with enough proof-of purchases.

I found out that along with Mom, that both of my grandmothers also used 20 Mule Team Borax, and I thought I'd hit the jackpot because I was able to quickly get enough proof-of-purchases.

I used to build airplane models, then I started building rockets when found out that I could build rocket models that actually were functional little rockets (they used little rocket engines with 12V igniters).

For a few dollars, I could buy a rocket kit, a few engines, and I could eventually shoot that rocket hundreds of feet up into the air. I quickly found out that rockets were much more fun than airplane models.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

I built some Estes model rockets as well, they were neat. Probably because I had to hike to a field where I could launch them, I never got in to that quite as much, although I did have several. At one point, we used to build our won out of paper towel rolls and balsa wood, and use the big D model engines to launch them.

My son was quite into rocketry for awhile and his model rockets were much more successful than mine.