Monday, June 24, 2013

Henry Fairlie's The Idiocy of Urban Life or The Co...

I mentioned the late Henry Fairlie's essay The Idiocy of Urban Life in a post here the other day, and found that when I'd earlier linked it in, I'd done so another one of my blogs.

The way I work the blogs now days has changed a bit.  Originally, this blog was strictly limited to historical topics, with a focus on the turn of the prior century and changes that have occurred from them to now.  It still is, but it's also where I generally post any other topic that I want to babble about.  That wasn't the case at first.  Now, I would have posted Fairlie's comments here, so I will do so. Above is a like to my earlier Holscher's Hub post.  Here's a direct link to Fairlie's Essay:


Fairlie was a British-born author who wrote for The New Republic.  He had a brilliant satiric whit.  This article was actually a reply to an article that had appeared only shortly before in The New Republic and which took for its title a phrase used by Karl Marx about rural life, in which Marx complained about "the idiocy of rural life."  No matter how you feel about cities, Fairlie's essay is simply too good to be ignored and raises many thought-provoking points.

As for Marx, Marx seems to have lumped, in a juvenile fashion, anything that cut against his views as dumb, deluded or dangerous, a rather juvenile approach to thought, and not worthy of intellectual endeavors.  It's amazing, in that context, that anyone ever took him seriously.

No comments: