Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pemco automatic reel






This ia Pemco fly fishing reel that's rather old, which I recently pressed back into service.  I'm pretty sure I have it mounted backwards here, but I rather absentmindedly did this as the line was feeding out from the other direction.  I rather obviously could have fixed that, but I just took it for granted that it was feeding out from the correct direction.

The action of this reel is rather odd, and I wouldn't buy one if it were offered now.  It's an automatic reel.  That is, the line retracts when the trigger is pressed.  Having said that, I'm rather surprised by how well it works.

Anybody know anything about these?

Epilog

I had the occasion to take this apart the other day, as I had to add line to it.  In the process, I stripped it down to clean it. Turns out it works much like a wind up clock.

 
Here's what keep the whole thing running. A long steel spring that is set to an axle, which is set by tightening the base.

2 comments:

Rich said...

I might be remembering it wrong, but when I was about 12 or 13, me and a friend spent a couple of weeks in early summer trying to figure out how a bunch of "old" guys were catching so many crappie in a nearby lake.

They fished out of fishing tubes and had some sort of fly rod that they used with crappie jigs.

Since they had fly rods they could reach out away from the tube, strip out some line, and jig up and down until they hooked a crappie. Then it seemed like they simply lifted the rod and had the crappie.

I can't be absolutely sure (it's been a long time even though it seems like it was just yesterday), but it is possible they were using a reel similar to this one.

And, if they weren't using something like this reel, a flyrod and reel setup like that might be perfect for that type of fishing.

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Sad thing is, we're probably the age those "old" guys were now. . . even though it still seems to me like I'm about 16 most days.