Sunday, March 12, 2023

Friday, March 12, 1943. Patton in command.


3-12-43 (Friday) We left Rabat one week ago to day.  We have done a lot but much remains to be done.  Freedenhal just exited he did not command and with few exceptions his staff was worthless due to youth and lack of leadership.

Bradley got back last night.  Ike has three plans. One that I should keep on with II Corps and have Bradley replace me at Rabat.

I said no on that one as it is unfair to Kemp.  Though possibly safer for me.

Plan 2.  For Bradley to go to Rabat and plan with Kemp and when this show is over to have me go back to [?] Haskey and B. take II Corps. Note that as utterly crazy.

Plan 3. For B to stay on as Deputy Commander with me get him a staff to work in with mine and then when this battle is over  to have me go [?] with my staff to [?] Haskey and Bradley take over. Kemp to plan until I get [?]

I accepted this as best. I am not at all sure that this show will run  according to plan and feel that as long as it is interesting Alexander will keep me. If it [?] down I can get out.

If Rommel attacks first that will be something different -- [?] may.

Wrote Gen Orders to Troops. [?] came to lunch. After lunch I went with him and inspected 2[?]th Inf. Col Taylor & 18th Inf Col. [?].  The 2[?]th been  badly shot up but seemed fine.  18th has done well and  is quite [?]

Terribly cold took a drink to get warm.

Gen [?] called at 2100 to tell me he had heard on the radio that I was a LIEUTENANT GENERAL.  [?] [?] [?] a [?] I am sleeping under  the three stars.  When Iwas a little boy at home I used to wear a wooden sword and say to myself.  "George S. Patton for Lieut Gen" at that time I did not know there were [?] [?] Now I want and will get five  stars.

Diary of George S. Patton.

The Royal Navy lost the HMS Lightening off of Algeria. She was attacked by E-boats.  The Turbulent was sunk by a mine off of Sardinia.

The U-130 was sunk by the USS Champlin off of the Azores.

The Red Army took Vyazma.  The Italian Army destroyed the Greek village of Tsaritsani, lilling 40 civilians.

No comments: