Saturday, August 10, 2019

I broke my glasses yesterday evening. . .

and by that I don't mean the lenses, although I did break one of them, but I damaged the frame.

No biggie, I'm sure most folks will say.

Well, in a year of changes, it feels like one.


I've posted on my glasses here several times, basically giving the story of how I came to use this frame in 1987.  That means that I've been wearing these frames, most days, for 32 years.  That's a long time.

That's particularly a long time if you consider that these were my father's before they were mine.  I don't know how long he wore this particular pair, but he wore this type from some point in the 1940s to some point in the 1950s.  Basically, therefore, these likely have something like 35 to 40 years of use.

I note that as after I stupidly broke them, I was looking at them, and they're pretty worn now.

What  happened is that for some reason I put them on my bed as I was getting ready for bed, and somehow it just slipped my mind they were there.  I then rolled into bed and basically crushed them, sort of, actually breaking one of the lenses.  If we keep in mind that lenses are now plastic, that's really something.

I have two, actually three, sort of, frames of the same type.  I have one that's identical actually, with sun glass lenses in them now.  So if I don't fix these, I don't have to give up the type.  And I am pondering that.  In looking at them, the almost 40 years of use has now taken its toll on that set.  Maybe I should just push one of the other sets into use.  Indeed, I have in that I'm now wearing a similar set that has screws instead of notches to hold in the lenses.  They're a set that supposedly I had done for hunting and riding as I didn't want the lenses to pop out, although I often just wore the other ones.

But for some reason, I hate to think that I've permanently damaged the other ones.  I can probably remedy it, but it makes me feel rather upset.

It's a mere material object, and I shouldn't feel that way about it. But sometimes material objects stand for more than their mere utility.

No comments: