Friday, March 8, 2019

Some random observations

1.  My tower computer at home, which I use for nearly all of these posts has been ill.

I was just going to not post while it was being repaired (which it now is, I just need to pick it up), but as I've had my laptop at home this week, I've made a few entries on it. 

I've found that as good as the laptop is, it's really the pits to use as your solo computer.  I could remedy that in various ways, but as this is temporary, I'm not going to.

2.  Readership has really started to fluctuate here on a daily basis, with the general direction being down.  I predicted that earlier, even though I've kept up with a lot of century delayed real time posts. . That was predictable.  As the story of the immediate post World War One world starts to dominate, it looses its appeal for many.

Indeed, it's hard to follow.  Right now, for example, a century ago, Germany had quit fighting the Western Allies but was fighting the Poles to some degree and was also fighting the Red Army, the latter due to the requirements of the Allies who had not been able to fully field forces in the Baltic's.  So the war had never really ended for the Germans, even though they'd been required to partially demilitarize, and even as they were fighting among themselves with arms that had been bought by the Imperial German government for its army but which were now in use by everyone against each other.

It's hard to follow.

3.  A newspaper that keeps claiming its circulation hasn't gone down because of its electronic presence really ought to have an electronic version that really fully works.  Yes, it should.

I"ve been reading that electronic version this week as the weather has been bad which has kept the newspaper from being trucked up early from Cheyenne.  Late delivery has been pretty common, not occasional like the Tribune claimed it was going to be.

4.  One advantage of using the laptop is that I can type this stuff out from the kitchen island, which means that my view is of the sunrise.  Not the basement wall.  I like that.  Due to my short stature and the general view, the view is really of the skyline, not so much of the houses across the highway.  I like that as well. 

5.  When I'm really busy, I'm really irritable.

Perhaps that's why I found myself irritated by some American neo Gandhite spouting off about the novelty of a March "fast for peace", which is apparently a monthly thing.

I don't know that much about Gandhi, but if you are a member of the one of the Apostolic faiths, which have always fasted, the neo hip American mis-discovery and misunderstanding of Eastern religions is irritating.  I know something about the independence of India and its' worth noting that on this day in 1919 the British government in India extended the proclamation of the wartime declaration of emergency specifically because it was concerned about Indian independence movements.  Gandhi, fwiw, supported the British effort in World War One.  During World War Two there was an active independence movement in India which was ineffectual  but which allied with the Japanese and which formed an army under Japanese control to fight the British.  Independence following the war was an inevitability, already agreed upon prior to the war as a fact but not as to date, and would have occurred with or without Gandhi.  British withdrawal from India was one of several really good examples of the British extracting themselves from their collapsing empire in a really brilliant fashion in which it looks like they were pushed out, but they were basically running out.  Appearing to be pushed out looks better, frankly, from an immediate and historical prospective.

Since independence, Indian has not been a model of pacific behavior.  It's fought wars with its former territorial fellow, Pakistan, and its fought a border was with China.  During the early Cold War period it flirted with being a buddy with communist movements here and there which weren't in its own democratic long term interest. 

6.  The United States could go nearly 100% carbon neutral in less than a decade simply by mandating nuclear power plants be built and vehicles be carbon neutral, which would mean largely electric.

Nuclear power is completely safe, or at least as safe as other power generating methods, and is proven.  It'd work easily.  It won't be done as the greens have a non scientific fear of nuclear power.

Indeed, in real terms, the Western world's fear of nuclear power is the global power generating equivalent of being a no vaccine advocate.  It's non scientific and harmful  A person can't be a real green in any meaningful sense and oppose nuclear power.

No comments: