Thursday, December 20, 2018

Everybody? Eh?

I had this on my Twitter feed:

7 Reasons Why EVERYBODY is Obsessed with Throne: Kingdom at War
Everyone Over 40 is playing this game
Oh really?

Well I'm not, and I do not care to.

Or any other popular online game.

I'm sure it's a generational thing, but I'm not the slightest bit interested in these games and I suspect that most people over 40 aren't either.

But I do wonder, in what weird world, do people imagine women of the Middle Ages routinely looking like this?

Wearing armor?  Not often.  And with obviously freshly washed flowing hair?  Hmmmm. . . .

Indeed, in the Middle Ages, you could tell if a woman was married or not by how she covered her hair.  Married women wore a wimple, like this:


Women who had never married and were eligible for marriage, did not wear a wimple.  It was generally regarded as indecent, however, for a married woman not to wear a wimple.

Why?

Well I have no idea really.

What I can additionally relate is, with certain extraordinarily rare exceptions, women did not wear armor, did not carry swords, and were not warriors.

Indeed, in an era in which physical strength was very important in combat, as a lot of combat was hand to hand, current school boy fetish aside, most women would not have been capable of combat.  Maybe some element of self defense in a pinch, but nothing like being a red haired armored warrior with flowing freshly washed manes.

Who actually plays that stuff?

No comments: