Wednesday, July 4, 2018

What happened to summer?

This "summer" has been absolutely freezing.

I have a pretty good recall on weather events and temperatures over the years for one reason or another, and this has absolutely been the coldest summer I've ever experienced.  It's like Fall, and not even early Fall. It's been arctic.

It's July 4 and when I woke up this morning the temperature was in the low 50s, it's wet and overcast.  Where I live, that means that last night, the temperature was down in the 40s. 

That's winter like weather.

Granted, it's supposed to get up to the low 80s, but in July it should be in the low 80s.

Now, every now and the it'll get up to the 90s for a day and then drop back down.  The average high for July is 87F.  The average low is 53F.  If you take that, we're about a good ten degrees below normal. . . every day.

The record high for July is 106 (2006).  The record low is 30F (1972).  I'm wondering when we'll beat that.

In spite of this, I'll note, when on some odd day the temperature isn't actually in the Sitka Rain Forest in April range, somebody will complain about it being hot.  This is usually coming in or out of my office where the air conditioning has it down at the Absolute Zero range anyhow. 

One hot day doesn't make the entire summer hot.

Is the 90s hot?  Well, so be it.  Bring it on and stop the rain.

No comments: