Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sunday Morning Scene: Inside the World’s Only Surviving Tattoo Shop For Medieval Pilgrims


Here, however, is something a bit different.  Indeed, much different.

Inside the World’s Only Surviving Tattoo Shop For Medieval Pilgrims


The Razzouk family has been inking religious pilgrims in the Middle East for 700 years.
I get this.

This strikes me the same way, I'd note that Marine Corps tattoos do.  There's an element of devotion here that's not only sincere, but which requires effort on the part of the person who obtained it.

I guess, while I fear to do so, that I'll contrast this with the recent tattoo obtained by a young man I've known for years, upon his obtaining age 18. It also expresses a religious devotion and. . .it's hideous.

Indeed, while it expresses a religious devotion, it's not obvious that this is the case.  That's the worst sort of message to send   Amongst people who ponder advertising that's regarded as a classic advertising "fail".  If people didn't get it, your message was pointless.

Of course, tattoos aren't necessarily meant to send a message to anyone but yourself.  Or maybe they are.  Or maybe they do, no matter what you meant.  And the difficulty of obtaining them might mean something as well.

Anyhow, these stand apart to me.

No comments: