Saturday, February 8, 2014

A couple of cold weather observations.

The most recent issue of the National Geographic has a nice article by Garrison Keillor about the area around St. Paul, and St. Paul, where's he's from.  It's a really nice article in lots of ways.

One of the photographs in the article is of a young couple, out on some ice, dressed for the weather.  Keillor notes that "as they were raised right", they're warmly dressed.  I sympathize with that statement.

The past couple of days it's been below 0F here.  Yesterday, when I dropped my daughter off at school, some kids were going into school wearing shorts.

Shorts?  Really, in this weather?

I know some young adults who do that too.  I don't get it.

Also, as a recent observation, the national news has been full of the shocking news that its winter, and its cold.

No kidding.

This morning, on the Today Show, which I do not watch but my wife does, one of the announcers was doing a "hash tag, enough already" routine.

Well, #get a clue, winter is cold.

Postscript 

-22F this morning.  Now that's cold. 

Postscript II

The cold must truly have set in by yesterday.  For one thing, I debated whether I needed to warm up my truck or not, as it was "only -9".  By the time that seems sort of warm, it's been pretty cold.

Secondly, for the first time the kids at junior high were wearing wool caps and nobody was wearing shorts.  About time. 

No comments: