Saturday, March 27, 2021

Coast Guard Drill Instructor


A couple of comments.

This is a female Coast Guard Drill Instructor.

Note:

1.  The recruits behind her are all female. This photo dates to March 18, 2021.  I wonder if the Coast Guard has retained separate recruit training for men and women?  I hope so, as that practice is a wise one that should be retained service wide.

2.  Note the M1911 campaign hat.  We've discussed the campaign hat here before, but it was once an Army and Marine Corps field hat that went into a use decline starting with the helmet but which was revived for DI use by the Marines in the 1950s, followed by the Army.  I know that Air Force DI's wear a blue one, but does the Navy now also? That the Coast Guard does surprises me.

Note also, Coast Guard DI's must wear the same hat irrespective of sex, as opposed to the hideously ugly separate DI hat foisted upon Army female DI's which should be ditched.

3.  Note the arm tattoo. . . of course.  I'll be glad when the tattoo trend is over, although its unlikely to pass on before I do.

No comments: